By Lisa Hawk
In 1856, a man named Joseph Wilhoit, built a wood frame building to be used as a school for Fall Creek Township. Later the wood building was demolished and the current brick structure was built for a school and it was called College Corner School. This brick school was used until 1916.
The new joint high school was completed in Middletown and several of the township schools were closed and consolidated.
The students from these more rural areas were transported to the new school in Middletown by “Hacks”. These Hacks were operated by the Middletown Motor Company. Students from the Minnick, Sherman, Bristol, and College Corner schools were all transported to the new Middletown school.
In 1919, the College Corner building was sold to Lafe Bell for the price of $310.00.
Here is a photo of the College Corner building and one of the classes with students names.


References
School Memories, Middletown & Fall Creek Township. Printed by the Middletown News
Beacon.com. Property records as recorded on beacon for Henry County.

Leave a Reply