Railroads in Middletown 1853

By Lisa Hawk

The railroads came to Middletown starting in 1853 and the building of the railroads was finished by 1856. People living along the right of ways were asked to buy stock in the “New Castle-Richmond Railway extensions into this area as early as 1852. This “New Castle-Richmond Company was started in 1850. And, the Indiana Legislature authorized an expansion of the railroad all the way to Peru and Indianapolis, as well as an expansion to Lafayette to Logansport and Indianapolis.

Work on the rails started in 1851 to New Castle and then in 1853 extended to Middletown. Then it was extended to Anderson and Logansport and was finished in 1857.

Several rail companies during this time merged together and created new companies for the railroad. In 1868 the railroads reorganized into a company named “Pan Handle Railway Company for this area.

Trains often ran out of water or firewood between stations and stops. When this happened, the men on the train were required to bail water from local ponds and to purchase wood from woodcutters during those early railroad days.

There were also a few conflicts during the early days. Cows and other farm animals would wonder up on the tracks. Small boys would yank down stop signals as a joke. And, lonely housewives were know to flag a train down and ask for change for a $5 bill.

It was not unusual for standard box cars to haul animals and supplies during the week and then have chairs placed in the same smelly cars and used as a passenger train on the weekends.

Beginning in 1899 steel rails were delivered along the lines and were used to replace the old iron rails.

The first train depot in Middletown was an old bank barn that ending up burning down. Then a train depot was built on the triangle shape lot between Locust Street and the railroad near Eighth Street. This depot remained at this location until 1896.

Look closely and you will see the “Favorite” washer that was produced here in Middletown.

Factories had located on the west side of town. As this was where products needed to be shipped from. Then, the depot was moved again to be close to the Chet Cooper’s Coal Yard close to Locust and Eight Street, again.

All of this time we had a wooden railroad viaduct on south Fifth Street.

In 1926 a concrete railroad viaduct was built.

The railroad was important for Middletown both for moving manufacturing goods and for providing passenger services that allowed residents to travel.

References:

Memories, Dreams and Reflections of Middletown, 1975.

Henry County Historic Road Maps.

Office of Arnold Electric Power Station Co. 1539 Marquette Building, Chicago- January 1904.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from Lisa’s Blog and Learning Center

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading