By Lisa Hawk
Middletown was growing and the number of children in school was increasing. In the summer of 1894 a two room school building was erected and designated as the “West Building” or Irondale School. It was originally erected on the sight located at the southeast corner of Cottage Avenue and 12th Street. This school was named Irondale because the Tin Plate and Irondale Rolling Mills were located just north of the school location. Irondale was considered a neighborhood school.
When school started August 1, 1894, for school purposes the town was divided into two wards, east and west. Students in the West Ward belonging in grades 1,2,3,4 and reading in first, second, or third readers were requested to attend the new West Irondale Building. All others in both wards were asked to attend the Central School Building.
When the new school building was being planned in 1914 and was to be built on the lot between 11th Street and 12th Street, the Irondale (West) building was moved across the street to the southwest corner of Cottage and 12th Street.
The Irondale (West) Building was used until the 1915 school year. After this time the building was used by several local businesses and for storage. The building was dismantled in the spring of 1986.
References:
Memories, Dreams and Reflections of Middletown, 1975
Beacon tax records, beacon.com
Photos from Middletown Historical Society and from Lisa Hawk taken 6/10/26
School Memories of Middletown and Fall Creek Township, by Dora Mattox, the Middletown Fall Creek Township Historical Society and Printed by the Middletown News, 1882-1967.






Leave a Reply