Middletown History
By Lisa Hawk
Millinery Shops were where ladies could purchase the top fashion items. Hats, gloves, scarves, trimmings, feathers and later in history silk hosiery.
Here in Middletown we were very fortunate to have a selection of these types of stores to purchase from. The first one listed in our history notes was owned by Mrs. W.A. Dale. Her shop was opened April 14, 1886. She started her business with the typical Millinery Supplies. Then later added a dress-making department to her store, which proved to be a great convenience to the ladies who lived in this area.
Mrs. Engel also had a Millinery Shop about the same period of time and was considered an expert in this field of work.
Mrs. Tessa Harte opened a Millinery Shop in the early 1900’s. She was soon recognized as a popular place to purchase ladies’ and children’s hats. She carried the latest Parisian and New York styles in her shop.
Another shop was the Tuttle and McAllister. And, yet another was owned by the Laboyteaux Sisters. Our history notes show that Bertha Strickler also owned a Millinery Shop. And another was owned by Tena Connery.
Photo is of a Millinery Shop on the North East corner of 6th and Locust Street. This building sat in the current location of the first Papa Pepperoni Restaurant.
References:
Memories, Dreams and Reflections of Middletown, 1975
Beacon tax records, beacon.com
Photo from Middletown Historical Society



Leave a Reply